Allah sent his messengers to convey the truth to all of mankind and guide them the right path. The last of all messengers is Prophet Muhammed (pbuh). The prophet muhammmed (pbuj) was a perfect example of an honest, just, merciful, compassionate, truthful and brave human being. Though he was a man, he was far removed from all evil characteristics and strove solely for the sake of God and His reward in the hereafter. Moreover, in all his actions and dealings, he was ever mindful and fearful of God.
The birth anniversary of Prophet Muhammed (pbuh), the last prophet and the guide of Muslim devotees, is annually celebrated and considering the national significance of this special day, it has been announced as a public holiday in Sri Lanka.
With related to this, the Department of Muslim Religious and Cultural Affairs is privileged to organize various national level programmes annually to celebrate this national day. Various types of Religious, Cultural, Spiritual and Development programmes will be organized in a selected District and arrangements will be taken to uplift the local amenities within the particular district.
National Meelad-un-Nabi Celebrations were initiated in year 1982 as a departmental activity and since then it was held island wide as follows.
Kurunegala 1988 Ampara 2006
Mawanella 1989 Trincomalee 2007
Matale 1991 Monaragala 2008
Puttalam 1992 Matale 2009
Thihariya 1994 Batticaloa 2010
Weligama 1995 Hambanthota 2011
Gampola 1996 Ratnapura 2012
Addalachenai 1997 Kinniya 2013
Malwana 1998 Kaluthara 2014
Kurunegala 2000 Kandy 2015
Kandy 2001 Guruthalawa 2016
Kandy 2002 Jaffna 2017
Batticaloa 2003 Colombo 2018
Polonnaruwa 2004 Colombo 2018
The Department of Muslim Religious and Cultural Affairs will be implementing the following programmes under this Departmental Activity.
- A souvenir including the details of History of Muslims in the chosen district, Historical significance and Muslim Pioneers in the respective district will be published to commemorate this national programme.
- Spiritual development programmes and many awareness programmes will be organized to explicate the society about the exemplary life of our Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).
- In order to commemorate this National Day, various religious events and an inauguration ceremony will be organized in a chosen district.
- Selected religious institutes such as Mosques, Arabic Colleges, Quran Madrasas and Ahadiyya Schools in the particular district will be developed and local amenities will also be uplifted.
- Provincial level and National level competitions such as speech contests, short-story writing, essay writing, Hiflul Qur’an contest, Quirath contest and calligraphy will be conducted among Students Island wide in parallel to this Programme.
- A state level ceremony will be organized with the participation of honourable Ministers, Religious Leaders and important people in the district in order to ensure peace and prosperity among the communities.